- It has been estimated that 70 percent of people will be exposed to a traumatic event in their lifetime.
- Of those people, 20 percent will go on to develop PTSD.
- At any given time, an estimated 5 percent of people have PTSD.
- Approximately 8 percent of the population will develop PTSD during their lifetime.
- Women are about twice as likely to develop PTSD as men, mostly because women are more susceptible to experience interpersonal violence, including rape and physical beatings.
- Victims of domestic violence and childhood abuse are at tremendous risk for PTSD.
- Rape is the leading cause of PTSD.
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Some PTSD Statistics
Most people who are exposed to extreme stress are able to process their way through their reactions and never develop PTSD.